Re: grub-install /dev/hda... /dev/.../disc does not have any corresponding BIOS drive

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:18:19PM +0100, Niels L. Ellegaard wrote:

| I tried changing bootloader from lilo to grub, but I am stuck halfway
| in the process, and I am slightly afraid of rebooting. (BTW I am using
| debian testing). Here is what I did
|
| root:gnalle# apt-get install grub grub-doc
|
| root:gnalle# grub-install /dev/hda
| Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
| /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any correspondin
|
| root:gnalle# update-grub
| Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
| /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 does not have any correspondi

Edit /boot/grub/device.map and change the line that says
    (hd0)   /dev/hda
    (hd0)   /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

grub-install doesn't handle the devfs-style symlink naming as
gracefully as it ought.

| If I reboot now, will my lilo still be working

Probably.

| or will my system try
| to boot from a malfunctional grub?

Possibly, but I don't think it will.

| Where should I look to find out?

The screen, while you are trying to boot ;-).

Seriously, though, you should have a floppy disk or cd handy to boot
if necessary.

-D

                                    .... what McDonald's is to gourmet cooking