Re: Linux clients in network - experiences?

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 03:41:20AM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> Hardware:
>  - Dual head: what is available with good Linux support? How much tweaking
> does Debian (think sarge) need (KDE? Gnome?)? (Ok, this will change every few
> months, so I'll need to do that research again when this actually comes).

I've been running dual-head Xinerama for years, at this point. The basic
requirements are:

- run lspci to discover what PCI address your card(s) are using.
- modify /etc/X11/XF86Config to add the second card and monitor.

>  - ok, this would be on the server side: RAID and hotswapping. I personally
> like software raid since I can swap controllers without problems. The
> software RAID HOWTO says it's possible with SCSI hardware, impossible to do
> reliably with IDE. This still true? (SATA?)

Hotswapping IDE RAID is very bad unless you buy a 3Ware controller.
Non-hotswap IDE RAID is quite good.

-dsr-

--
I just haven't introduced the CIA psyops unicorn yet.
					-- Charlie Stross