Re: Building kernel for another computer

Gary wrote:
I need to build a newer kernel for my laptop in order that it will support a
parallel network interface I have for it. Since my only way of getting
anything onto the laptop is via floppy, what I did was build a suitable
kernel on my potato box (yes, I know, that's old as well! it is not as old
as 1.3 that is running on the laptop at the moment, however...), and copied
the result onto a floppy. I then try and boot the laptop from the floppy (I
want to be sure the kernel works okay before I replace the one on the hd).
Everything goes well until it reports a kernel panic because it is "unable
to mount root fs". Obviously I've missed a step somewhere. Would someone
please give me a pointer to where? None of my books have anything in them
regarding building kernels on one computer to run on another.

I think that I can just add an extra lilo entry on the laptop, copy the
kernel on to the lappy's hd and try it out that way, but I think I'd rather
learn what step I am missing first (sometimes it is useful to know how to go
over the mountain as well as knowing the route around).

Thanks folks.

This is just a wild guess but -- did you build in the file system the laptop has? I'd think that's just ext2 or maybe ext3 so you should at least have ext2 built in (built into the kernel itself, not as a module!!)

HTH,

Joris