Re: usage of "ifup ppp0" as opposed to "pon"

Apparently, _Thomas Hood_, on 03/21/04 04:09,typed:

1. You don't need the "down" line.  ifdown runs pon and poff
   for you.

OK.

2. The up and post-down commands don't work properly with ppp ifaces.
   See bug #127786.  The problem is that ifup simply runs pon
   and then the "up" commands; pon returns immediately -- i.e.,

Yes, I noticed that. I was running my detailed firewall script using the "up" command. I noticed that it was running too early and was not able to know the IP address. I hadn't been assigned yet! So I that firewall script, I just put a small while loop which polled the output of "ifconfig ppp0" command to know if the IP has been assigned. Assuming that my algorithm to extract the IP address from the output of ifconfig command is correct, can this be considered as a work around to this problem of "up" commands running too early?

   before pppd has finished bringing up the ppp connection --
   so the "up" commands get run too early.  A similar problem
   afflicts the "post-down" commands.  Until this bug is fixed

I hadn't noticed the negative delay in "post-down" commands.

thanks,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)