Severe network slowdown

Hi,

I'm having very strage network problems with Woody. A seemingly random amount of time after the machine has booted (I've seen it happen after a few days, but also after a few hours), all network traffic slows to almost a halt. If I then reboot, everything is back to normal, so I guess it't not a problem in the network. Also another machine, which is on the same local switch, has no such problems. The only thing I did to the standard Woody installation is build a 2.4.21 kernel with make-kpkg configured with the 2.4.18-bf2.4 config (since I have a HPT272 IDE controller). Other than that, I have no idea what might cause this. Even if it is the kernel, I have no idea why. Also I don't even know where to look. Can anybody give me some pointers as to what might be the problem or where I should start looking? Also, are there any tools I might use to help diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy Tak