Re: Print Drivers

Krikket wrote:

One thing I've been banging my head over is how do you load your printer's
drivers?

I just did a Sarge install, and everything is pretty much working exactly
as I could have hoped.  With the exception of the printer.  I don't know
if I forgo to turn it on during the install, or if it just doesn't cover
this part...

Any suggestions as to how I can get my printer working?

Thanks in advance!

Krikket

Setting up is not part of the install.

Further more, it's a black art.

It depends on a lot of things: is it a locally attached printer, or a network printer? Is it USB, or serial, or LPT? Is it a real printer, or a "win-printer" (in which case, Good Luck, Buddy; you'll need it)?

Assuming it's a printer that will work with Linux, probably the easiest way is to use CUPS (although there are other methods).

 apt-get install cupsys-client cupsys-bsd

Then use your web browser to go to "localhost:631" and you'll find a GUI for setting up your printer. You may also need to install some other packages, such as foomatic-filters-ppds and cupsys-driver-gimpprint, but I'm not sure what all you'll need; as I said, it's a black art.

--
Kent