Re: x window?$B$,N)>e$j$^$;$s!#

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 08:55:07AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> Florian Ernst wrote:
> >Hello 'wadaminoru'!
> >
> >His 'x window' doesn't boot up and he asks for guidance. He already
> >tried 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' but this didn't help.
> >He feels sorry for asking, but does anyone have a hint for him. He
> >uses a NVidia 'G-fource3' graphics card.
> >
> >wadaminoru, please note this list's language is english.
> >Sorry, I personally don't know much about graphics cards...
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Flo
> >

> >PS: I CC you as I don't know whether you are subscribed or not.
>
> I have an NVidia GForce video card also.
> But that card is not currently running on a Debian box, SuSE.
>
> However, the following should apply:
> NVidia drivers are not normally available under Linux (with 3d support).
>  I believe there is a dummy driver called 'nv' that you can choose from
> during the set up.
> In order to get NVidia 3D support you need to download the kernel
> headers and get a script from NVidia that will compile and install the
> driver for you.  Then select the driver 'nvidia' for your X11 configuration.

All that is needed is already packaged for Sid. Don't know about
testing/stable.  If he's into rolling his own kernels, and uses
kernel-package, it's a dream to set up.  Otherwise the kernel headers
need to be installed to build the driver.

Other threads have come up recently on this, too.  I didn't track them,
though.  Sorry.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,