Re: apt-get upgrade question

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:51:43PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Frédéric Dreier <frederic.dreier@uptime.ch> writes:
> > I just ran the update and have seen that some openssl libs have been
> > patched. My question is : should I restart ssh daemon and other
> > dependant programs (apache-ssl, exim-tsl, ...) in order to make the
> > update effective?
>
> Any well maintained package will handle starting and stopping daemons
> on it's own without user intervention.  If it's not, well, that's why
> we have reportbug.

Unfortunately we're currently rather short of mechanisms for a library
package to discover what running daemons need to be restarted, not
counting the dodgy hack used by glibc for NSS upgrades, which I really
wouldn't want to perpetuate (it's just a hardcoded list of package
names).

So, while it's probably a bug, it's not a sign of poor maintenance since
we just don't have the infrastructure to do it right yet.