Re: frustrating problem with networking encountered while installing "Woody"

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 05:31:42PM -0800, Renhao Zhang wrote:
> "I have the exact same network card that you do, and
> have had the same problem. I have never been able to
> do a net install with dhcp using the bf2.4 kernel. So
> what I do is just install the base system with the
> vanilla kernel. Then just apt-get the 2.4.18 kernel
> source and compile it with the tulip driver and MAKE
> SURE you also have packet filtering and socket
> filtering enabled as well. They are under the network
> options. You must have those two options enabled for
> dhcp to work with that card. So the bf2.4 kernel
> probably doesn't have them enabled."
>
> I'm not sure I understand what is being said.  Are you
> supposed to apt-get the 2.4.18 kernel with the 'Woody'
> iso disc set as the source?  I'll try to learn how to
> recompile the kernel to see if that solves the
> problem, but I wanted to see if anyone else has
> encountered similar problems and suceeded in solving
> it.

While I haven't solved my own problems with tulip(only work at 100Mbps) the
instructions above translate to:

Get linux.2.x.y.tar.bz2. One method is from kernel.org (as is
sugested above - a vanilla kernel). Another is from your Woody disks to
do 'apt-get install kernel-source 2.4.18'. I'd advise against this due to
a) being old b) having at least 3 local root expliots.

Once you've got it do the following:
cd /usr/src
tar -xjf linux.2.x.y.tar.bz2 (might be a different name)
cd linux.2.x.y
make menuconfig (needs libncurses5-dev - other options are oldconfig,
config and xconfig. Menuconfig is just my favorite. This is where
NET_FILTER etc. must be enabled)
make dep bzImage modules modules_install install

Then modify /etc/lilo.conf to ensure it points to the correct kernel you
just installed in /boot and run 'lilo'
Reboot and pray.

I'd suggest getting everything working with static IPs first.

Some handy commands for networking trouble:
mii-tool, ethtool, ifconfig -a, route -n, arp

Brian