Re: Stopping GNOME Launching on Reboot

"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> writes:

> Incoming from Roland Dunn:
>>
>> Having typed: "update-alternatives --config x-session-manager" and
>> choosen GNOME, GNOME now starts up on reboot. I'd like it not to so that
>> I can type "startx" when I want it to go into GNOME. How can I force it
>> not to launch GNOME on reboot?
>
> That's gdm, and you can disable it by [as root]:
>
>   1. /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>
>   2. edit /etc/init.d/gdm.  Stick an "exit 0" near the top of it.
>
> Note you should do it in that order.  The second step disables the
> first.  And from now on, X desktop changes go in ~/.xsession

Wouldn't it be better to change the symlink in /etc/rc2.d?  (Assuming
the OP is booting into runlevel 2.)

I think this is better for several reasons.  It preserves init.d/gdm
in case he wants to start|stop|restart gdm from the command line, it
allows for running gdm in a different runlevel, and it doesn't depend
on init.d/gdm running at all when booting in to runlevel 2.  In
addition, it is consistent with the way System V init is commonly
used, and documented.

'mv /etc/rc2.d/Snngdm /etc/rc2.d/Knngdm', as root.

I guess it doesn't really matter if all he wants to do is nuke gdm,
but if he wants to make a lot of changes to his init, mucking around
in the scripts would quickly become a mess.  I'd hate to have to take
over maintenance of a machine from somebody who did that.

http://www.freeos.com/articles/3243/ is a good overview of System V
init.

--
Lift me down, so I can make the Earth tremble.
                                --Bucky Katt