Re: Stopping GNOME Launching on Reboot

"Roland Dunn" <roland@dunn.co.uk> writes:

> Having typed: "update-alternatives --config x-session-manager" and
> choosen GNOME, GNOME now starts up on reboot. I'd like it not to so that
> I can type "startx" when I want it to go into GNOME. How can I force it
> not to launch GNOME on reboot?

If you want to do it on only a temporary basis, go into
/etc/init.d/rc2.d and move Snngdm (where nn is a two digit number) to
Knngdm, move back to Snngdm when you're ready to have it come up after
switching to run-level 2 (like, say, when you boot).

Ultimately, though, if you don't use software that you have installed,
you should remove it.  dpkg --purge gdm

: :'  :
`. `'`     proud Debian admin and user
  `-       Debian.  Because it *must* work.  debian.org   aboutdebian.com