Re: read ms-access .mdb files

Rajesh Menon wrote:

hi - anyone here tried to open/read .mdb files?
im on debian sid with openoffice 1.1, and the mdb-tools utilities (the
manpages of which aren't too descriptive.)
i noticed a page returned by google describing how to install and run
everything from src, but i wanted to make sure before i did all that ...
thanks.

rajesh menon at http://www.cs.nyu.edu/~prm225/

OO.o chokes on access files. Try Codeweaver's CrossOverOffice product (they'll send you a link to a test copy if you email them for one, or there might be a link on their page for it.)

With it (and an office CD,) you can install Office (and IE) on linux; I've done this with a SuSE box and a Debian woody box. It's done via wine and you'll need the windows CDs.

I have not done much work with access so can't say specifically about that, but i know it runs office docs natively.

--
David Piniella
University of Miami