Re: Set title bar name

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 02:31:45AM -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> } > xprop -id $WINDOWID WM_NAME | sed 's/^[^=]*= "\(.*\)"$/\1/'
> }
> } Hum.. That works locally, but not on ssh connections.  $WINDOWID isn't set.
>
> That all depends on how you start your ssh sessions. I generally use:
>
> ssh -X -f user@host xterm

Ah, interesting.  A bit slow over my wireless.

Gets confusing for me -- like which set of .Xdefaults get used?

Also interesting -- from my laptop to one machine I can run the remote
xterm fine -- although the window is much larger.  I guess I'm not using
my normal resources.

Going the other way that command pops up a blank xterm
window that I can't seem to close.

> If you run the xterm on the remote box, displayed via X11 forwarding,
> all is well. This requires slightly more bandwidth than the other
> option, but the benefits are pretty strong (from my perspective).

Can you enumerate a few of those benefits?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org