Re: postgresql configuration and set-up

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:43:16AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:

Tom, I'm new to this so can I ask for some clarification?

> login_usernames are associated with database usernames.  Means access to
> one means greater access to do damage.  Security issue.

You mean if user A creates a database then user B can access it
automatically?

If you want to give users their own database won't this help?

 # Type Database   User    Type
  local sameuser   all   ident sameuser

That limits access to their own database.  Then for web access use
a host entry and suexec (for cgi at least) so cgi apps will ident to
that user.

> required ident which is not installed with postgresql and should be
> considered a bug.

IIRC You don't need to run ident for local access and still use "ident"
type of access.  Seems like a good default for new people using
postgresql on the same machine.

> Ident is also an open text password process and
> should be avoided.  Security issue and a Bug.

How is Ident a password issue?  It just says what user is connected to a
socket.

> It's far easier to manage and far saner to manage if you just added some
> lines to pg_hba.conf to the effect of:
>
> local  all  postgres                 trust

Doesn't that say that anyone can connect as postgres? and therefore to
any database?

> local  all  all                      md5 (or trust or password)
> host   all  all       127.0.0.0/8    md5
> host   all  all     192.168.0.0/24   md5  ( I have an internal LAN )

So all that mean that anyone with a postgres username and password can
connect to any database, right?

> >I wonder if there's an easier way than having to GRANT every
> >object -- like a global grant.
>

> IIRC there is but you and I both have to RTFM a bit.
> I saw your name on the pgsql-novice list!  ;)

I have -- a few times -- but still seems like I'm doing it the hard way.
No response on the NOVICE list -- I thought it was a novice question --
perhaps the pg-general list might  be more responsive.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org