Unusual entity ™ in man page output; how to view it

dh_make generates a template manpage.xml which can be run through
xsltproc using
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/manpages/docbook.xsl
to produce a manpage which may be viewed with "nroff -man".

The input <productname>Debian</productname> produces the output:
Debian&#8482;

My locale is "en_US".  I assume this character is supposed to be
"Trademark" or "Registered Trademark", but unicode 8482 is a Japanese
character.

What is it, and how to I view it, and is it "Correct Behavior" (TM) ?

///
If you need to see what I mean make a dh_make project and run:

$ xsltproc --nonet -o debian/
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/manpages/docbook.xsl
debian/manpage.xml.ex 2>/dev/null; nroff -man debian/x-package.SECTION |
tail -n 17 | head -n 2
This manual page was written by Tom Ballard <tbpub@hotmail.com> for the
Debian&#8482; system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted