Re: nvidia and kernel-image-2.6.3-1-k7

>> Will I have to build
>> my custom kernel  to build nvidia driver as kernel module?
>> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html points
>> to a guide that suggests just this.
>
> No, that is yet another private "I have read some docs and show you how
> to do it now" - howto document.

Ouch.  Okay, I have to say that module-assistant is a great little tool,
which I wasn't aware of before.  It takes care of most of the installation
drudgery that I spell out in my HOWTO.  It should make everyone's life
easier.

But there's a little more in my HOWTO than that, about which installation
method to use, which kernels are okay, and troubleshooting for that driver.
The installation instructions are designed to be cut-and-paste easy for a
newbie (tho not as easy as m-a, it's true), and they weren't so easy to
throw together.  Yes, the information is around in the docs, but not all in
one place.  It took me a while to put it all together, and an explicit
start-to-finish set of instructions seems to be filling a need for some
folks.

Also back when I first wrote my HOWTO, there was quite a bit more to it,
because the driver wouldn't work with kernel 2.6, so you had to grab some
patches from minion.de, and I maintained another set of patches to allow
make-kpkg to build it.  But the driver works with kernel 2.6 now, so all of
that went away a few months back.

Anyway, thanks for writing module-assistant.  It takes a lot of the drudgery
out of building and installing those modules-- just what software should do
for us.

Andrew.