apt-get upgrade confusion.

Hello
Just when I thought I had my head around the apt-get mechanism when dealing with a mixing of stable and testing (and unstable) packages, this problem turns up.

Sources list contains stable and testing and unstable references. /etc/apt/preferences contains 3 pins:

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

if I do an apt-get update everything goes smoothly, if then an apt-get upgrade, a miscellaneous bunch of packages want to get upgraded to the testing version.

The only logical answer is that some package install I have done requires these updated versions and so it is wanting to it.

But the system is working fine, the only packages I've recently added work fine, apt-get check reports no problems. apt-cache policy package-name says sensible things.

If it is the case that these package versions are required due to some other dependency or relationship, how do I find out what that is?

If not (a) how can I find out why it wants to do this and (b) how do I stop it, unless it is recommended that I let it do it?

Many thanks.

rolf.