Re: kdm not starting properly

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:49:08AM +0100, Martin Eschen wrote:

[snip]
> In the syslog after I enter runlevel 3 between 17:43:37 and 17:45:17
> nothing happens. This is when usually the X server should start and
> display the X screen. In the XFree86.0.log file at the end there 's an
>
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!

This would indicate a problem with the nvidia kernel module rather than
kdm. To check this you could switch to one of the console, stop kdm with
"/etc/init.d/kdm stop" and then start X with "startx". (I'm assuming you
have a ~/.xsession file setup.)

> so I tried using the nv driver, resulting in the same behaviour. I
> also tried reinstalling the NVIDIA Driver but this did not help....

If you want to use the nv driver, besides changing your XF86Config-4,
you will also need to uninstall the nvidia kernel and nVidia's glx
libraries. If you have installed these from Debian packages, removing
them should reset links to glx libraries needed by nv. If you didn't
install from Debian packages, you will probably need to reinstall
xlibmesa-gl package.

--
Jerome