Keyboard input fails on Display :1.1 (TV Out)

Dear Group,

I use TV-Out for viewing films and it works perfectly fine, as long as I
only use the mouse. XF86Config includes some lines for TwinView and the
graphics is ok, as well as the mouse. It took some while before I figured
out how to activate a window manager for that screen, but that is also fine.
However...

The keyboard does not work on that screen.

Example:
When I start an xterm window, the first five characters I type on the
keyboard are also accepted and also seen on the screen. After that the
keyboard is "not useable" any more on that screen.
The mouse works fine.  The cursor shows that the appropriate field is
selected for input, but the input does not appear when I use the keyboard.

How can I get the windows to accept the keyboard input?

All tips are appreciated!

    Goran