Re: System no longer usable

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:09:32PM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Josh Metzler wrote:
> >On Sunday 14 March 2004 08:21 am, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> >
> >>Something strange happened to my system last night.
> >>When I woke up this morning, the machine was completely
> >>locked up.  I cannot boot any linux kernel.  I have
> >>been rolling my own kernels for a while, and the
> >>machine has a 2.6.3 and 2.6.4, neither of which will
> >>boot.  It won't boot Knoppix, either from the CD-RW
> >>or the DVD-ROM drive.  The machine is running Sid.
> >>
> >>The strange thing is that WinXP boots OK (I have it
> >>installed in /dev/hda1 so that I can still play
> >>gamees).  WinXP seems to work fine even with the
> >>system heavily loaded.
> >>
> >>The machine is an Athlon XP 2500+, nForce2 mobo.
> >>
> >>Here is the end of the boot messages where it locks
> >>up:
> >>
> >>/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 on /usr/local type xfs
> >>(rw,nosuid,nodev) /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 on /home type
> >>xfs (rw,nosuid,nodev) /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7 on
> >>/var/lib/systemimager type xfs (rw) usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs
> >>(rw)
> >>Starting hotplug subsystem (runlevel S): inputkernel driver evdev already
> >>loadedkernel driver evdev already loaded
> >>kernel driver evdev already loaded
> >>pci
> >>
> >>It just ends up with a blinking cursor after the "pci."
> >>The machine is then totally hard locked.  If anyone
> >>can provide me some pointers I would really appreciate
> >>it.
> >>
> >>-Roberto
> >

> >My system stopped at this point after updating hotplug two days ago, but
> >Ctrl+C got me past it.  Yesterday's hotplug update fixed the problem for
> >me.
> >
> >Josh
> >

> That did the trick.  I don't know why the Ctrl-C did not occur
> to me.  Too simple, perhaps? :-)
>
> I upgraded tonight and am back in business.
>
> What I cannot understand is how the probsem locked up the machine
> overnight.  Weird.

For my case, this machine never booted OK with 2.6 kernel (I never
cared. I have other machine booting 2.6).

Anyway, here is what I do.

1. select boot with single user mode.
2. get to root shell by entering password
3. "ifup lo"
4. CTRL-D to continue boot process

I do not have time to fix this but this works.  "ifup -a" seems to be
broke but eth0 is working.

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>  Brussels Belgium, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract