Re: NFS Groups

On Saturday 13 March 2004 10:07 am, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I want to thank those who helped me with the userid. The other half of
> this, however, is the group id:
>
> Assume that a directory on the server is owned by root:users. The group id
> number for users is different on the server and the clients. It's not
> possible to have the directory owned by the same user as on the client as
> there are many of those, so group permissions need to control whether the
> directory can be written.
>
> How can I set up this type of directory so that it can be written by the
> client machines?
>
> thanks in advance

I used ldap to solve this problem.  I use it to essentially replace NIS.  On
my server, I use the package cpu (does the equivalent of user{add,del}, and
is packaged in debian) to assign users and groups.  I used the page:

http://people.debian.org/~torsten/ldapnss.html

for guidance on how to set up ldap on both my server and clients.  It has
worked well.

John