Re: Next stable release: 13 CD's

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi Debian!

Did you see that in announce? The next stable release is 13 cd's. That just about prevents all people on 56kb modems (many in the so-called "third" world) from downloading them and will I ever see the set if I "order" them in Mexico by mail?

Hugo.

I have to agree with the other statements here.
The number of CD's here doesn't present itself as a barrier for adoption, unless you want it to.

You can order them by mail from a number of sources. However, I'm not sure about Mexico. I know that a lot of places will sell the distro CD's for a few bucks (mostly reproduction costs).

You only need one set of CD's. You can replicate them yourself for all your friends and save them the download time via phoneline.

But even if we are looking at a full 13 x 700 MB = 9100 MB at a relatively slow 5 minutes per megabyte it would take you less than a week to download the entire distribution.

However, what's more realistic is to download the first CD, or the debian-installer CD at ~100MB or 8 hours, 20 minutes. Hit download and go to bed. Next morning you burn the CD and you only have to download what you need for the installation, not all 9100MB. I have a working basic system on 721MB. It's enough to start with and it's not impossible to obtain. I'm guessing that my disk space is >> download package space.