Re: sound card

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:35:16 -0600
Wayne Sitton <waynes@techgod.net> wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a high end sound card to do alot of audio editing and
> such.  The Creative SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro seems to have everything
> I want.  I googled to see if there was any mention of wheather or not it
> will work under linux.  If anybody know if this will successfully run
> under linux, I'd like to know, or at least recommend another product of
> similar stature that is.

In order to maek recommendations, can you elaborate a little more on what
you want to be able to do, and what your quality requirements are?

The original Audigy cards, including the Audigy Platinum, are supported
in ALSA.  I don't know the Audigy2 cards (still comparatively new), but
the Audigy cards I'd describe as being at the high end of *consumer*
soundcards.  They're good cards for general-purpose use, but not what
people doing serious/pro audio work go for.  Other cards you might
consider at the same level or somewhat better level would be the M-Audio
Revolution 7.1 or various cards from Terratec.

On the other hand, pro audio cards you might want to look at include
cards from M-Audio (the Audiophile 24/96 or Delta series) and RME
(the Digi or Hammerfall series).  The pro audio cards tend to cost
several hundreds of dollars.

Check the soundcard list at the ALSA homepage
( http://www.alsa-project.com/ ) to see whether ALSA supports a
particular card, as well as comments from other users of that card.

Finally, consider peeking around the linux-audio-user and alsa-user
mailing lists.

http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/subscribelau.php3