Re: Looking for encrypted file system

Osamu Aoki wrote:
Hi,

Short answer seems to be:

# apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 03:00:45PM +0000, Toby Batch wrote:

Julius Plenz wrote:

* Toby Batch <debian-user@band-it.net> [2004-03-14 13:42]:
Maybe cfs (cryptographic file system) is what you want.

I tried this but I got this when installing:

Starting cfs: localhost:/var/lib/cfs/.cfsfs: Function not implemented
localhost:/tmp: Function not implemented
mount: RPC: Program not registered
dpkg: error processing cfs (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 32
cfs

Can anyone help with this?

Looks like you need nfs enabled :-) You use stable version. For me.

root@dambo:/home# apt-get install cfs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  cfs
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 179kB of archives.
After unpacking 508kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.skynet.be testing/main cfs 1.4.1-10 [179kB]
Fetched 179kB in 0s (244kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package cfs.
(Reading database ... 147885 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cfs (from .../archives/cfs_1.4.1-10_i386.deb) ...
Setting up cfs (1.4.1-10) ...
Creating directory /var/lib/cfs/.cfsfs
Creating directory /var/cfs
Starting Cryptographic File System daemon: mountd... cfsd.

and chengelog tells me

cfs (1.4.1-10) unstable; urgency=low

  * debian/init.d: start: stop cfsd again if mount localhost:$NULL_EXPORT
    fails (closes: #188190).
  * debian/postinst: only start cfsd if statd service is running.

 -- Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org>  Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:10:12 +0200

Osamu

I think I have nfs enabled, but it still doesn't work:

I can stop all the nfs services:

p4-7126:~# /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop
Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
p4-7126:~# /etc/init.d/nfs-common stop
Stopping NFS common utilities: statd.
p4-7126:~# /etc/init.d/portmap stop
Stopping portmap daemon: portmap.

And I can start them:

p4-7126:~# /etc/init.d/portmap start
Starting portmap daemon: portmap.
p4-7126:~# /etc/init.d/nfs-common start
Starting NFS common utilities: statd.
p4-7126:~# /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
Not starting NFS kernel daemon: No exports.
p4-7126:~#

I don't think the kernel server not starting matters as looking at the cfs script is calls exportfs directly.

I now try to install cfs again and:

p4-7126:~# apt-get install cfs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  cfs
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/179kB of archives. After unpacking 508kB will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package cfs.
(Reading database ... 41757 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cfs (from .../archives/cfs_1.4.1-7_i386.deb) ...
Setting up cfs (1.4.1-7) ...
Creating directory /var/lib/cfs/.cfsfs
Creating directory /var/cfs
Starting cfs: localhost:/var/lib/cfs/.cfsfs: Function not implemented
mountd... mount: localhost:/var/lib/cfs/.cfsfs failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
dpkg: error processing cfs (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 32
 cfs
p4-7126:~#

I agree it seems to be a NFS problem.  Any more clues?