Re: Newbie, stumped, pls help!

jeffkiss escribió:

Can anyone help me figure this out?

I am trying to install Linux.
ix86
my hard drive is wiped clean. I'm not even really sure how (or if) it is formatted.

I have a cd cdr drive and a cdrw.  (plus floppy and zip)

I have debian disks,  (and also SUSE, from the box).

I plan to install both distributions, thinking the Suse will be more beginner friendly, but eventially I hope to spend more time with Debian.

Presently, I am using Knoppix cd to operate my system, and it works fine, but, of course, I would like my OS installed on the hard drive.

I was previously running (i hate this OS so much, i won't even utter it's name, but it's the one that most people are forced to use). And it was 'up and running' on this same hard drive.

My problem is that nothing will boot (except Knoppix).

When i attempt to begin installation with -
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2 Official i386 Binary-1 disk -
I get the initial 'splash' screen with the warning about backing up data before proceeding that ends with
boot:    and gives different options f1 f2 etc....
it just sits there no response.

-same thing with the SUSE disk.

-same thing with the boot option at the beginning of Knoppix boot process. (it boots automatically after about 10 seconds. but I thing you are supposed to be able to butt in at this point if you want, right? It says hit f2 for help and that doesn't work).

-same thing with boot floppys made with partion magic.
I get to the boot prompt "hit any key"  and  ...   no response.

Does any one have any idea what I should do to remedy this??????

If you help me, I will be your slave for a week, just like in the Brady Bunch . . .

Please have mercy on the newbie!
Jeff

Use www.morphix.org hard disk installation script and see the hdfaqs ( very usefull).

Regards.