Re: coda vs. nfs on home lan?

on Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 06:12:29PM -0800, Kenward Vaughan (kay_jay@earthlink.net) wrote:
> I'm prepping for my next little home project, wherein something like
> NFS is used for the obvious reasons (accessing /home on alternate
> machines).  I have no clue whether NFS or CODA (or AFS) is a best
> choice for this, though.  As well as I have seen via Googling and
> searching this list (over the past year, at least), there aren't any
> big opinions about it.
>
> Despite my firewall against the outside I'd like some security, but
> ease of setup is also important.  I don't _think_ performance is an
> issue since there's nothing spectacular expected.
>
> Am I nuts to worry about security?
>
> It seems that CODA is second-generation AFS, but is it established well
> enough and is it stable enough to make a first choice?  Or has security
> advanced substantially on NFS?
>
> Has anyone had experience with both and can offer their thoughts on the
> above?  Or is there a good site my searches haven't laid open to me?
> I'm running Sid currently with a home-spun 2.4.25 kernel.

Coda isn't a feasible filesystem.  There's a new intermittent networked
FS I've seen mentioned in a few places but can't remember the name.

NFS or Samba are probably your best bets.  AFS is still (IIRC) non-free.

All have their warts.

Peace.

   Itanic is practically dead in the water, but this time the icebergs
   have powerful engines, AMD logos, and good aim.
   - Andrew Grygus