Depend. problem with apt-get

I am new to Debian and am trying to setup a mail server. I never had sendmail on my system, but had to remove exim with "dpkg --purge --force-depends exim". Then I successfully compiled and installed qmail from source. Following that I tried to install courier, but I got a bunch of errors from apt. Here they are;

gw2k:~# apt-get install courier-imap-ssl
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 at: Depends: mail-transport-agent
 courier-imap-ssl: Depends: exim or
                            mail-transport-agent
Depends: courier-imap (>= 1.3.7-3) but it is not going to be installed Depends: courier-ssl (>= 0.37.3) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: openssl but it is not going to be installed
 mailagent: Depends: sendmail but it is not going to be installed or
                     smail but it is not going to be installed or
                     mail-transport-agent
 mailx: Depends: mail-transport-agent
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

How do I tell apt I do have a MTA, which is qmail?

Thanks for the help,
Mike

Create a Job Alert on MSN Careers and enter for a chance to win $1000! http://msn.careerbuilder.com/promo/kaday.htm?siteid=CBMSN_1K&sc_extcmp=JS_JASweep_MSNHotm2