Re: kdm not starting properly

Martin Eschen wrote:

Hello,

About a month ago my system has started to show the following behaviour: after booting has finished the message that kdm is started is on the screen. Instead of immediately being followed by displaying the X screen (and switching to tty 7) I have to wait for about 1.5 minutes before the screen switches to tty7 and displays X. It then takes about the same time before the kdm logon screen is shown. Before, it only took 20 seconds max or so. When I try to logon into KDE, it seems the X server is restarted (or at least only kdm is started again I am not sure whether the X-server is also restarted.) Before this started to happen, I had booted several times since the last update using dselect without problems. Debian testing, Kernel version 2.4.21. NVIDIA XFree86 Driver 1.0-5336 [I] consider myself to be still a newbie :)

You consider yourself a newbie . . .

In the syslog after I enter runlevel 3 between 17:43:37 and 17:45:17
yet you're obviously advanced enough to tinker with runlevels, as a default Debian system has a runlevel of 2.

I am stuck at the point where I do not know whether this is NVIDIA related (NVIDIA error in XFree68 log) or kdm related (with the nv driver the same behaviour occurs)

Easy enough to test. Just kill kdm. Run "/etc/init.d1/kdm stop". Now try starting X with "startx"; if it works, you know the problem is in kdm; if it doesn't work, you know the problem is in X.

Also, run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and specify the "VESA" driver (just for testing purposes, not as a fix) rather than the NVIDIA drivers, and see if X starts with "startx". If you've tinkered with /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 manually, this command may not work, in which case you can just manually edit the file to make the change to VESA. This will tell you if the problem is related to the NVIDIA drivers.

--
Kent