Cannot find dpkg-scanpackages

Hello,

I'm new to Debian and have done a base installation of Woody 3.0 R1 from CDROM, and am now in the process of installing packages not on the single CD.

I've obtained the packages I want, but dpkg-scanpackages yields: "bash- command not found". I've also searched the installed system, and the cdrom using "find / -name dpk*" with no results.

It seems dpkg-scanpackages is commonly found in /usr/bin, but not in my installation.

I'd appreciate any ideas, to solve the problem and also as to how dpkg-scanpackages should itself be packaged.

TIA
Tony Bazeley