udev and removable media; blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sda

I have been trying to fix my scanner and memory stick problem after
udev without much success. I found the following thread going on at
the kernel developers list, with quotes and responses from the
developers directly involved with issue.
http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Jan/0451.html
http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Jan/0460.html
with some maybe partial solution pointed at in
http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Jan/0487.html
If this is still the state of udev, I would say that some docs and
pointers to them are needed, at least with respect to removable
media. They mention /dev/sda in the thread, I think it has directly to
do with the way memory sticks are recognized. Now, the man page for
blockdev is not very explicit, and I would want to mess my system now,
that apart from this very (hopefully) simple problem is working finely.

I was tempted to send a message to the debian developers list asking
for help, but I don't want to divert their attention from more
important issues, however, according to the statements in the above
quoted thread, this may become a big issue for end users without insider
understanding of the kernel, who therefore have no clue about blockdev
and so forth.

On the other hand, I know that the scanner is fixed to my machine, but
despite the fact that it is not perhaps considered removable, I can't
find either where the it has been assigned to.

Hoping to catch the attention of some who might know what to do.
Thanks to all,
AR