Re: Retroactive apt labelling?

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:46:22PM +0000, Alexis Huxley wrote:
> > Is it possible to retroactively label debs as having been automatically
> > installed by apt? I'd like to be able to install package dependencies
>
> What are you using to install debs that *isn't* keeping track of
> dependencies then? Can you give a specific example of what you
> want to do (what commands? What package?) and what you would like
> to see that you're not?

It seems that aptitude was the answer to my question. Specifically, I
wanted to automatically manage libraries that were added by the woody
installer, but were increasingly useless with sarge. The default behavior
of 'M' and 'm' in aptitude was just what I was looking for. This could,
however, be a continuing problem for anyone who uses dselect for package
management; dselect doesn't take advantage of many of apt's capabilities.

Cheers,
Jason Whittle