Gnome Crash

It seems that I have caused Gnome to crash permanently.  I had inadvertently
dragged a copy of an item from the menu, and put it into the TRASH and then
emptied it.

At that point Gnome crashed.  Any reattepts to login to a Gnome (2.4) setup
bringing up a Gnome-panel crash.  I've had to resort to KDE.

I've tried blowing away all that I think is Gnome related (including stuff from
/tmp as well!), and then reinstalling clean files from what /etc/skel would
install for a new user.  To no avail!  Same crash situation.

And any other users I've got (and new users) do now have such a problem.

Any help would be appreciated...especically in tracking down where the key
items for gnome-panel are in a typical user's directory.

Thanks,
Arlen