Re: Disappearing files ...

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:00:02PM +0200,  wrote:
> I recently noticed I've got a serious case of missing files on my
> gateway/firewall/webserver. Running debsums indicates it is only files
> in the /usr/share/doc/ tree that are missing.

I've tracked this to [03/Dec/2003:07:58:35 +0200] looking at apache
logs, thanks to htdig's indexing I've got daily accesses, and files
seemed to start going missing during the indexing.

Yea, that's a very long time ago. I never noticed, the machine wasn't
in public use for two months, since Feb a few people have hit 404's
accessing documentation, but no one ever tells the webmaster...

In fact, the machine was probably completely disconnected at the time,
syslog shows pppd running on the 8th and the 20th (December). I did
work via a NAT gateway (dialup) at some point though, for shortish
periods of time, but that didn't do port forwarding either.

I feel this was therefor not malicious, and will no longer worry about
that. Still completely puzzled, but that is just too bad. I'm also
curious why my logs (e.g. /var/log/syslog) are no longer rotated. That
one also dates back to 3 December ... curiouser and curiouser... (I
did notice the non-rotation a long time ago, but didn't worry about
it. The curious thing is the date...)

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe