Re: woody synaptic prob

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi!

I have been using synaptic 0.16 with woody.
Suddenly, since yesterday, it hangs while "Building dependency tree".
All the other apt functions still seem to be working.
I find no bugs to this effect.
Anybody have a clue?

Thanks!

Hugo.

Apparently nobody using woody has synaptic or nobody has ever seen a hang in "building dependency tree". Too bad.

You do the following:
1. apt-get source synaptic
2. Install it with ./configure, make and make install. You'll need libwings-dev
3. Start putting printf's with __LINE__ __FILE__ from the beginning.
4. You find out he never gets out of ../common/rconfiguration.cc where he is reading /root/.synaptic/filters.
5. delete /root/.synaptic/filters
6. HANG DISAPPEARS!!!

I am not going to put a bugreport in about it because woody is soon to be old hat. Should I? This is version 0.16 and sarge is at 0.47. Does it also happen there? Who knows. I did mess with filters, I recall now, but because of senility probs. never associated the hang with it and the man page does not suggest wiping out /root/.synaptic/filters in cae of probs.

Regards,
Hugo