Non-breaking spaces with Freefont

Anybody using ttf-freefont noticed that non-breaking spaces show as
rectangles rather than spaces - yet only some of the time?

For example, reading email in KMail is fine, but select some text and
the rectangles show on lines with some selected text.  Or reading
news in KNode, rectangles show (in FreeSerif) but not in the fixed
width (FreeMono) font. Hover a mouse cursor over a Kopete contact,
and there's one before the status text, etc.

I don't know if this is an issue with the font or whatever package
deals with font rendering.  I'm running KDE3.2 in sid (but may still
have the odd experimental package).

Any ideas what's wrong?

Relevant(?) packages:
xserver-xfree8 4.3.0-5