Sid Upgrade: could not open default font 'fixed'

Argh X11 again.

Just did an update on a Sid machine and now xfree86 server isn't
starting:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed';
the X server's font paths might be misconfigured, remote font server(s)
may be unreachable, and/or local fonts may not be installed or are not
configured correctly.

That's some error I remember seeing before (on a list) but I'm not
finding a solution with Google.  I'm also having no luck with strace.

Just a few days ago I updated a Sid laptop and had a different problem
and removing and re-installing xserver-xfree86 fixed it.  But that's not
working in this case.  I tried a working XFConfig-4 from another machine
and I also removed it and let dpkg-reconfigure create a new config, and
I still get the same error.

Suggestions?

The install created this Files section:

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "unix/:7100"                    # local font server
        # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

And my config from my sid laptop tried on this broken machine is just:

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

both result in the same error on this machine.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org