Re: Re: base system, no x windows yet,HOW?

Hello

ts (<tshew@flashmail.com>) wrote:

> You see, currently the networkinging NIC still not in function yet
> unless I could upgrade kernel to 2.4.25. and then install nvidia
> driver. I just downloaded backport's kernel-image-2.4.25-i386 under
> windows xp and left in "D:", before installing should  I move it to
> "usr/src"by entering " mv kernel-image-2.4.25-i386 /usr/src"?
> or mount the  Vfat partition at first then editing "sources.list" by
> adding "  deb file:///mnt/backports... " then"apt-get update",
> "apt-get install kernelimage"
>
> or you've got other commands to achieve upgradings.

You should two things:

First you install the image. Mount your windows partition, go to the
directory the package is, and run

dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.25-i386.deb (if this is the name of the
downloaded file). Configure your bootloader to use the initrd that came
with the kernel. Add a line

initrd=/initrd.img

to the "Linux" section in /etc/lilo.conf. Then run lilo. Reboot. Your
old kernel will still be available. You can press shift+tab at the boot
prompt to have lilo ask you which one to load.

After booting with the new kernel, load the driver with modprobe, add a
line

alias eth0 yourmodule

in /etc/modutils/aliases, run update-modules, and edit
/etc/network/interfaces using the right settings for your card (gateway,
IP and so on). You can also install the etherconf package or run

dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

if it is already installed. When finished, run

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Use ifconfig to check if your settings are correct. Now add the line for
the kernel image you are using to /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get
update. In the future apt will tell you if there is an updated version
of that package (e.g. an security update).

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976