Re: The patch for my raid controller doesn't seem to work as I whish

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:37:45 +0100
Jacob Larsen <post@jfl.dk> wrote:

> I am trying to enable my Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus in my Debian
> machine.
>
> The kernel is 2.4.22 and I have applied the following patch to the
> kernel.
> http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/kernel-patch-2.4-fasttraks150
>
> I need to compile the driver into the kernel as the raid will cover /
> (root). But it doesn't seem to work.
>
> This is my kernel config. What could be wrong?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect your problem is here:

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_OLD=y
> CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_NEW=y
> CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y

I have an onboard Promise interface, and it took some experimentation
with these four configuration options to get it to work.  I needed

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_OLD is not set
# CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_NEW=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y

and it's important to note that if I also set PDC202XX_OLD and/or
PDC202XX_BURST, it would not work.

The documentation for these options seems to clearly indicate that
you want PDC202XX_NEW and not PDC202XX_OLD.  So I'd try setting _NEW
and unsetting _OLD, and then playing with the other two options.

Note also that this is merely to make the kernel see the device
properly.  To treat it as a RAID, in addition to enabling the
ATARAID options (which it looks like you did), I'm pretty sure
you'll also need to set up the disk array first, using the
appropriate actions when the FastTrak BIOS executes.  I don't
know much about that, since I use the Promise interface merely
as an IDE bus expansion, to get 4 more drives.  You might want
to do the same, and use Linux software RAID instead of the
Promise card's RAID, since the performance is usually better that
way.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)