Re: Equivs - APT - Source - Packages

Arnt Karlsen wrote:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:03:34 +0000, Ricardo Lima <rlima@Fe.up.pt> wrote in message <[🔎] 404C9956.AEC259F@Fe.up.pt>:

Hi,
I am trying to install the xfree86 4.4.0 from sources in a debian
testing machine running kernel 2.6.3.
I was able to compile xfree86 and install it.
Now I would like to use equivs to tell apt that xfree86 4.4.0 is
installed.

..you installed 4.4.0 from sources into '/usr/local'?  That tree is
outside apt's "jurisdiction.

I have already tested equivs with xfree86-common and it is working
(apt knows that it is installed).
Now the questions:

1 - How can I know all the packages that the sources of xfree86 4.4.0
provide?
     I know that with apt-cache search show, I can get the
     information about the source of a package.

2 - Right now I can tell apt (with equivs) that a package is
installed, BUT can I use only one file to specify that several
packages are installed? How?

..pass. There is a licensing problem, the new XFree86 "1.1" license
for 4.4.0 is not compatible with the GPL nor Debian policy, so unless
the 1.1 license is changed, XFree86 is going to get forked, to say "GNU X", hopefully under the GPL. Google for details, this is also
discussed in Debian-X and Debian-Legal.

I do not know the answer, but they are very good questions that I asked once before in relation to Backstreet Ruby:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=author:vanwoerkom&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=1cywU-M2-7%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=31
and did not get any answers.
It seems to me that the answer to these 2 questions is not related to XFree86's licensing problems, that is something else again. This is an apt/equivs question. I hope someone will answer them.

Hugo.