Re: USB (mouse) headaches

Al Romaniuk wrote:
> (original version posted to Usenet)
>
> Hello Debian-Friend
>
> I am not a complete newcomer to Linux, having used another distro
> previously. I heard Debian was the very best, so I decided to test it
> out for myself. I did get it installed properly, excepting for the
> USB/HID devices. I cannot locate nor load the proper modules for them!

hi,

this page explains how to configure a logitech optical usb mouse (using
2.4.x kernel):

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-install.en.html#s3.3.2

In short, use modconf to load the kernel modules. You need to
activate input.o and mousedev.o under "Input core support" section.
Then under "USB support" section, load
"Support for USB" (usbcore.o),
"Preliminary USB device filesystem" (CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS),
"UHCI" or "OHCI",
"USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support" (CONFIG_USB_HID,
hid.o), and
"HID input layer support" (CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT)

and your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 should look like this:

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier "Generic Mouse"
     Driver     "mouse"
     Option     "SendCoreEvents" "true"