Re: NIC is working, but how?

> the loopback interface and to my surprise eth0 was working as well! I
> could not find which module the kernel is using for eth0 anywhere. Is it
> possible that it is not using any module? The output for lsmod is:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> parport_pc              7276   1  (autoclean)
> lp                      4580   0  (unused)
> parport                 6676   1  [parport_pc lp]
> af_packet               6136   1

Quite possibly the stock kernel you are using has the driver compiled
into the kernel and not as later-loadable module.

Look in /boot/config-<your-kernel-version> and look for text like
3COM or 3C9. On my kernel I have:

dione$ grep -i 3c /boot/config-2.*
/boot/config-2.4.16:CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM=y
dione$

Note the 'y', meaning 'compiled into the kernel'. I suspect you
will have the same.

('m' would mean it is a module which then gets modprobe'd in by one
of the init.d scripts.)

Alexis
http://dione.no-ip.org/~alexis/