Changed NIC to USB, now network does not start

I'm building a KnoppMyht based system. I just changed from a PCI
based NIC to a USB based one.

Problem is now the network does not start up on boot, If I run
/etc/init.d/networking stop ; /etc/init.d/networking start
after it boots, the networking starts up just fine.

My suspicion is that the USB based NIC has not been configured by
the time /etc/init.d/networking is run during boot.

Any sugestiosn as to how I cna fix this?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin