Re: Retroactive apt labelling?

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:51:11PM -0600, Joe Hendrix wrote:
> Jason A Whittle wrote:
> > Is it possible to retroactively label debs as having been automatically
> > installed by apt? I'd like to be able to install package dependencies
> > one at a time, but still use aptitude to keep track of the dependecies
> > for me. I haven't been able to find anything in the apt documentation,
> > but I may simply be looking in the wrong place.
>
> I know you can do this with aptitude -- via the command line with
> markauto or interactively (by default I think "M" does this).

Thank you, Joe; this is precisely what I was looking for. I use aptitude
religiously, but I didn't even think to check if it might have this
functionality. And you're right, it is the 'M' key by default.

> One thing I would really like would be able to chain package
> dependencies, so that I could stuff like "make-doc" depend on "make"
> and automatically be uninstalled if make was uninstalled.  But I don't
> know of a way to do that.

I suppose you would have to change the dependency information stored in
the cache to accomplish that, unless apt will accept package information
from another source.

Cheers,
Jason Whittle