Re: Replacing Kde

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 03:56:04PM -0300, HectorScaramelli wrote:
> Hi,
> Need help trying to figure out what are all the steps needed to replace
> Kde that comes up by default when 'startx'. I'd like to change the
> default kde so as to test icevwm and blackbox. I've already installed
> them with 'dselect'.
> TIA
> Hector

In /home/username write a file with name .xinitrc (notice the dot)

In it, write the following:

#exec icevwm;
#exec blackbox;

Uncomment the one you want to have running at a given moment. Then,
from console, write
startx -- 1: vt8 & (the & will allow you to get back to the console,
by putting the Xserver in the background, with Contr + Alt + F1, this
way you will be able to see if anything is wrong)

Or just plain

startx

Notice that vt8 sends you to virtual 8, leaving vt7 with kde running
or wahtever you have. If you do just startx then you should have no
kdm or gdm or *dm working.

HTH.