Re: Replacing Kde

On 07 Mar 2004 15:56:04 -0300
HectorScaramelli <pwrpnt@wpowerpoint.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Need help trying to figure out what are all the steps needed to replace
> Kde that comes up by default when 'startx'. I'd like to change the
> default kde so as to test icevwm and blackbox. I've already installed
> them with 'dselect'.
> TIA
> Hector

You _could_ change it manually to launch your window manager of choice when
using startx by changing the symlink:

helios@qntal:/etc/alternatives$ ls -hal x-window-manager
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 2003-11-06 17:03 x-window-manager -> /usr/bin/wmaker

But another advice might be installing wdm or another xdm clone which supports
window manager selection. When you machine is booted you get presented a
graphical login prompt with a dropdown box which lists all available window
managers.

hth

--
Elie De Brauwer
http://www.de-brauwer.be

Hope is the worst of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of a man...
--Friedrich Nietzsche--