kde3.2 and startx

Now that kde3.2 is coming into sid I have been unable to start kde from the
command line with startx.  X starts up and then just quits back to the
command line.  My ".xsession" file contains the line "exec kde3" which worked
for kde 3.15 but not now. Note that exec gnome-session and exec wmaker both
work fine from my ".xsession" file as does starting kde3.2 from kdm so it is
not an X problem.  Does anybody know the magic incantation to place in
my .xsession file to start kde3.2 with startx?

thanks in advance
R.J.P.