Re: hard drive partitions post install set up

Hallo,

>So this looks like other than the first GB on my hard drive I've screwed up
>the rest of it. What should I do at this point to get use of the rest of
>the space on my hd? I don't care about any data anywhere except for /dev/
hda1.

different options:
1) mount the other filesystems somwhere, for example /home would be a good
location for some extra space, /tmp or /bigfiles.

2) try to move part of your filesystem to another partition, that is, copy
everything in /usr to a seperat partition than mount this partition at /usr
(note: You don't have to delete the contents of /usr prior to mounting it, so
this gives You an option to test, everything went flawless BEFORE deleting
the directory)

3) move everything and repartition, that is, do a "tar cvvfz" at / level, put
the resulting archive onto a seperat computer (or a dvd if handy), then boot
from some rescue system (Knoppix), repartition, copy the files back, run a
"chroot" and do a lilo.
In theory this is quite save (done it by myself), but if You're not used to do
it (or are sweating just thinking of it) You should stick to 2) or 1).
Best regards,
   js
--
By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually get to be
boss and work twelve.