Re: Question about hardware

Hello,

>  * Is there some way I can access the laptop HD (2.5" I think,
>      don't remember exact specs) ... I need is some hardware so
>      that I can mount the HD under linux, and I can take care of
>      the rest. (Perferably USB, I'm not familiar with firewire; though
>      if I have to open up my computer to connect it in, that's fine too).

there are two simple possibilities to achive Your goal.

First an external USB harddisk enclosing (they are offered both for 3,5" and
2,5" harddrives). You might opt for a usb/ieee1394 combined enclosing. This
would be preferred in Your situation, as You already have one spare 2,5" hdd
flying around. Check for those enclosings, allowing to run without external
power supply - they exist at least for ieee1394, I think I've seen them for
usb, too.

Second option is a converter allowing You to connect a 2,5" hdd to a generic
mainboard. In fact, it's a simple adapter without any logic, selling for
around 5 to 10 $.

>Anyone have bad scenarios like this? I think I'm going to avoid
>laptops at XYZ for the rest of my life; anyone know of a company
>that actually offers good warranty service?

Avoid sony, they've terrible end user support. I've been told Dell is ok, as
long as You take their platinum-super-hyper-special service contract.
   js
--
An American's a person who isn't afraid to criticize the president but is
always polite to traffic cops.