Re: installation question?

users@linuxforums.org wrote:

We are using Debian for a linux installation, .. yet there is
NO need to setup a Server and all that
jazz. The only instructions or "How to" guides we have instruct
building a server, networking, etc. [b:47e5d03b6f]All we want is a
Regular WORKSTATION setup.....[/b:47e5d03b6f] word processing,
graphic type work, home Internet Access, possibly a BASIC and/or C
compiler, etc. .... that's IT. What options or choices should we look
for a regular setup like this during installation? Thank you in
advance for any help.
----
.

The instructions at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install.en.html#contents
are for setting up a minimal system (neither server, nor workstation).

Then just install other packages you'd want on your workstation, like so:

apt-get install x-window-system kde openoffice.org mozilla-firefox mozilla-thunderbird bibletime gimp gaim xmms gramps synaptic xpdf

which will go a long way toward getting you a functional workstation. You can use "dselect" (older method) or "aptitude" (recommended) or "synaptic" (in X only) as a menu-driven front-end for selecting packages.

--
Kent