files corrupt (?) -- ldconfig problems

At what point is a system beyond repair... or not worth repairing?

PROLOG
---
I had some problems installing debhelper and the result is
I had disk errors--which I managed to fix with "fsck.reiserfs"

I then managed to regenerate "/var/lib/dpkg/available"
(which fixed an earlier problem --
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/debian-user-200403/msg00184.html)
---

WHERE I'M STUCK
-----
I have persisting ldconfig problems... and I don't have a good idea of how
to fix them.  It seems some libraries and config files were messed (on the
debhelper install) and they need to be re-installed.  I can't get into any
of the two windowing systems (Gnome or KDE)...  so I have to use the
command line exclusively and have to reboot every time I want to search
the web--frustrating.

I renamed "/etc/ld.so.cache" and found it was re-created when I
rebooted... and thus concluded the problem isn't with 'ldconfig' per se--
but likely related to the libraries it links (libc6 ?).

Is there a way to regenerate the library files automatically... without
having to hunt down the packages they are in?
In other words... can one refresh all the files associated with ldconfig?
(I remember reading about how RPMs systems allow one to check whether the
files in an RPM package are all there... and that one can replace broken
files.)

I had the impression the following line in "/etc/apt.conf"
-----
APT::Get::ReInstall;
-----
would make packages I "apt-get install" that are already installed
re-install... but it doesn't seem to be so ('cause it didn't help).

After reading a bit here... (
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/ldconfig.8.html )
I thought the fix might be re-installing libc6 -- so I was going to do
'apt-get remove libc6' then apt-get install ...but a message I got when
doing the remove command convinced me it isn't so wise and I don't really
know what I'm doing...

Help would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Michael

LDCONFIG COMPLAINING...
stokes:/home/michael# ldconfig
ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkdegames.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong
magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkdegames.so.1.1.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsgui.so.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong
magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libatlantikui.so.1.1.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsmidi_idl.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has
the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsgui_idl.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsmidi_idl.so.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsgui.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsbuilder.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: file /usr/lib/libapt-inst-libc6.3-5.so.1.0 is truncated

ldconfig: file /usr/lib/libfam.so.0.0.0 is truncated

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsmodules.so.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsmodules.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: file /usr/lib/libapt-inst-libc6.3-5.so.1.0.0 is truncated

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsgui_idl.so.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsgui_kde.so.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsgui_kde.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsmidi.so.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong
magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsbuilder.so.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong
magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libxine.so.1.8.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong
magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libatlantikclient.so.1.1.0 is not an ELF file - it has
the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: file /usr/lib/libfam.so.0 is truncated

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libartsmidi.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libasound.so.2.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libatlantikclient.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libxine.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong
magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libatlantikui.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

stokes:/home/michael#

ANOTHER PROBLEM - RELATED I THINK
# apt-get install apt-utils

  apt-utils
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 250 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/180kB of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.

/usr/bin/apt-extracttemplates: line 208: syntax error near unexpected
token `newline'
/usr/bin/apt-extracttemplates: line 208: `/>'
(Reading database ... 88276 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace apt-utils 0.5.22 (using
.../apt-utils_0.5.23_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement apt-utils ...
Setting up apt-utils (0.5.23) ...

What does apt-extracttemplates do...?